If just the sight of the laundry pile fills you with dread, you aren’t alone. Laundry is often reported as one of the most hated household chores and who could argue otherwise?
But have no fear! Below are a few EASY tips to make doing laundry slightly less painful (hey, I’m not a magical fairy! I can't make it go away entirely)
1. DON’T LET IT PILE UP: What’s the only thing worse than piles of laundry? Many, many piles of laundry. At a bare minimum, do laundry once a week. The bigger the household, the more Laundry Days you need to have.
2. SPEAKING OF FAMILIES: Are you combining clothes from different family members to make one complete load (socks, always socks!)? Utilize a mesh laundry wash bag labeled by name! They aren’t just for delicate items anymore.
3. SET A TIMER: Am I the only who never, ever hears the machine’s buzzer go off? Until the electronics companies create an app where the machines alerts you when the load is finished (p.s. why haven’t they done this yet?), maximize the efficiency of your time by setting an alarm. Now you won’t get distracted by the kids or the dog or the phone ringing or lunch or the other 10,000 things you are in the middle of.
4. FOLD AS YOU GO: As soon as a dryer load is done, get those clothes folded. If you let the finished loads pile up, you have yet another daunting task ahead of you. It takes less than 5 minutes to fold an average load.
5. MAKE THAT LAUNDRY ROOM WORK FOR YOU: If you are already dreading it, don’t make it worse by not having a well-organized laundry room. Ideally, you’ll need a place to hang air dry items, a trash can for lint, sufficient room for all your products (detergent, stain removal, bleach, softener, dryer sheets, etc.) and a place to fold. Don’t have room for all that? Make sure that items are at the very least close on hand so you aren’t trekking all over the house.